Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy Six Months, Little House!

Hello and good morning, lovelies! Today marks six months since I moved into my house! I was nineteen when I bought it, and somehow convinced that a four-story town home was an entirely practical purchase for a person my age. Since I've moved in, my life has been nothing short of adventures.

First came the adventure of moving. I'm sure I need not describe how perturbed the movers were when I explained that all of the heaviest, antique pieces belong on the third floor. Then came the first night alone in a house: although I was big enough to move out, I was not big enough to spend a night without my Mama, so she slept over. And not five days after I moved in (three spent all day at work!), I had to leave Little House for a month-long stay up North with the family. Then school started, and long story short, here it is, Christmas break, and I am just now settling into a routine.

The thing about houses, which I didn't know firsthand before moving in, is that they have a mind and a life of their own. They're like children, demanding every inch of your attention and love or they'll go and do something devious on you. Their schedule doesn't always (read: never) coincide with your own- just as you're leaving for four days, several lights will go out at once. With a house, unlike a dorm or in your parents' house, there are neighbors who must be respected and expenses which must be paid promptly. It's a lot to take on...and here's how one frazzled little girl handles it all!

Homeowner Snapshot
Name: affectionately known as Bitsy
Home: four-story townhouse, entirely chaotic and lovable
Decor: genuine antiques with the clean lines of Restoration Hardware; slight spritzing of Neiman Marcus for the Home. Lots of monogramming, lots of silver.
Favourite thing about the house: quiet and personal, but enough space to go crazy.
Least favourite thing about the house: the things that go bump in the night.
Favourite room: probably a tie between my bedroom and the kitchen. I'm partial to my bedroom because every piece in the room belonged to one of my grandmothers before it was given to me. I love the kitchen because it's where everyone gathers...and it always smells like cinnamon.
Favourite piece: antique marble-top dresser, which belonged to my paternal grandmother before it moved into my house.
Things we'll find a lot of in your home: turtles, cable knits, and monograms. 
Things we won't find in your home: sanity. 
Zaniest decoration item: I'm not sure there's anything particularly zany about my style...but there are these giant Lilly Pulitzer lantern ball things just sitting on the top of an equally random bookcase...my Big gave them to me and I love them but they definitely do not match the color scheme in my living room.
Coolest decoration item: I can tell you what I love the most! One of my sisters gave me an adorable turtle bowl, which I lovelovelove. I'm also partial to a set of certain sorority letters my Big did for me, and a picture of my mother wearing her letters when she was in college.
Most fun had in the house: the evening after a local fashion show; all of my favourite people in one place!
How to master a house: put your laundry straight in the machine, not in the hamper, and be vigilant about running the loads; put dishes straight into the dishwasher and then remember to empty it regularly; bleach anything and everything which can be bleached; put cinnamon brooms everywhere because they smell fantastic. Make a competition out of turning off the lights, and remember that not every food in the refrigerator has the lifespan of a century.
Plans for the house: minor renovations: different flooring, lighting and cabinet hardware, to say the least. Possibly different (not shiny) paint. It's cute...but not that cute.
Outdoor space: two porches. Perfect for creeping.
Write a quick note to your house: 
Dear Little House,
First, I love you immensely. Thank you for the great memories you've given us and the great fun we've had within your four walls. However, I'm wondering, could you possibly do something about those lightbulbs that keep burning out? And, could you perhaps stop the air conditioning unit from making frightening noises just as I'm falling asleep at night? That would be fabulous.
See you in a bit.
xx, Bitsy

No comments:

Post a Comment